Thursday 30 January 2014

Geocaching in... The Netherlands!

Wednesday, January 29, 2014

On a trip to The Netherlands I certainly wanted to earn my Dutch souvenir, and here it is:

Netherlands

Met STIP op de kaart... Liempde

I started off quite enthusiasticly with my new GPS, but unfortunately choose a small multicache with a waypoint.  I had to find an old farmhouse and from the description I had to calculate a new waypoint.

The farmhouse

Details on the description needed for the waypoint

I found the farmhouse alright, had no difficulties calculating the distance and degrees for the waypoint, but after that I was stuck.  I contacted the owner of the cache who very kindly confirmed that my calculations were correct and also helped me to enter the data in my GPS.  Now I will have to go back and find the actual cache, but I want to use my GPS first on a more straightforward cache to see if I am doing all the right things...

Watermeter (Earth cache*)

In the meantime I had to make a trip to 's-Hertogenbosch to visit relatives and I figured that I might as well try and find a cache. The first one on my list was the Watermeter.  Funny enough I didn't need my GPS (which I had very cleverly left at home!), because I knew exactly where the water meter was to be found.  When Frank and I were visiting in 2011 we discovered this meter on a walk, not even knowing that it happened to be part of geocaching (which we weren't even familiar with at the time).  So, I drove straight toward it, noted the depth of the groundwater level (which such a water meter is about) and had my picture taken by a friendly passer-by.  Et voila, I could log my first Dutch cache!

The Watermeter

Hurry up with that picture!  I'm freezing in this cold wind...
* When looking for an earth cache you're not really looking for a container, but something that is stipulated in the description.  Sometimes you have to take a picture as proof that you've found it.  Sometimes you have to answer questions.  Either way, it often is an interesting cache and you always learn something new.


1 comment:

  1. Leuk om Nederlandse caches op je blog te zien ;-)
    Wij doen ook graag earthcaches, die zijn inderdaad vaak erg interessant.
    Hopelijk ben je inmiddels een beetje aan de kou gewend.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by and leaving a comment.