Monday 11 July 2016

Colwyn Bay - Saturday



Saturday, July 2, 2016

In the morning I wake up in time to join Chris and Dylan, the dog, for their morning walk, and after breakfast and morning tea Sal and Chris take me on a tour to show me places worth a visit when I will be on my own during the week.  (They will both be at work)


Colwyn Bay must be the easiest of names in Wales, because for me it’s probably the only one I can pronounce, making it hard to remember the names of the places I’ll be visiting, but I’ll do my best.

I am off to a marvellous start. Our morning walk took place on a hill (Bryn Euryn), which I can see from my bedroom window, near Rhos on Sea. We meet and talk to various people who are also walking their dogs.  

On top of Bryn Euryn
View from Bryn Euryn

Our trip later in the day leads to Llandudno, from where you can see Ireland and the Isle of Man on a clear day (which to-day certainly is not!). Chris drives all the way around Great Orme, the coastal limestone headland at Llandudno.  We pass the cable-hauled tramway and various other points of interest.  The story goes that Lewis Caroll was inspired here in Llandudno to write his ‘Alice in Wonderland’. 

From Llandudno the trip goes to Conwy, where Chris and Sal point out the castle and Britain's smallest house, worthy of a visit later in the week. 

From what I remember we next drove along and across the Conwy River for a while which borders on Snowdonia National Park.  We have coffee and scones at a little restaurant (Tu-Hwnt-I'r Bont) at Lanrwst on the river and pass through Betws-y-Coed where I take some pictures of the rapids.


Tu-Hwnt-I'r Bont




A little Robin in the restaurant garden
 
The 'rapids' at Betws-y-Coed and Dylan near the tree
On the way back we visit one of Britain's oldest yew trees in a church yard at Llangernyw.  The tree is estimated to be a mind-boggling 4,000 or 5,000 years old!

The ancient yew tree
Next we make our way back to Colwyn Bay via Abergele and so far I think I have done pretty well with remembering so many names. 


In the afternoon Chris takes Dylan for a walk at Little Orme and Angel Bay and what is becoming a habit, I come along.

At the foot of Little Orme
Angel Bay where we regularly see seals
As Sal has a dinner date with two of her friends Chris decides to take me out for dinner at the local pub, The White Lion Inn at Llanelian yn Rhos, just outside Colwyn Bay. It can’t get any better than that, can it?  All I needed now is a roaring fire, but.... it’s summer in Wales.  Not that I had reason to notice, having walked around in the rain and the ice cold wind most of the day. Haha...  Anyway, we had a great time as we met friends of Chris’ and were asked to join them at their table. The meal, I went for a traditional roast, was great too.

Just after we arrived home Sal followed with her friends Judy an Yvonne.  I had a brief chat with Yvonne, who had lost her husband under similar circumstances as I had lost Frank, for her only six weeks ago. The time when you’re still numb to the pain that follows.  However, the brave woman told me she was taking her strength from me as she was encouraged by my smiling again after three long years. 
 
And well, that was the end of my first day amongst the Welsh.  Happy people, by the way, after their win from Belgium by 3-1 which places them against Portugal in the semi-final of Euro 2016.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by and leaving a comment.