Friday 2 September 2016

Scotland via York, UK



Friday July 22, 2016

From this day till the 5th of August I have spent my time in Scotland. As I had no access to internet and am no too far behind (as I am writing this) I will try and update with pictures and brief notes.

The time in Scotland I have spent with friends from the Netherlands.  Dieuwer's friend (Dieuwer, with whom I swapped houses last year) has invited me on a trip to Scotland in her camper.  She, Dieuwer and two more people from the Camper Solo group, Evelien and Henny, had planned this trip and I joined them for approx. a fortnight.  Ankie picked me up at Stansted airport on Friday 22 July and from there we drove to York where we met with Dieuwer.  We stayed for two nights before we went further north to meet up with the others.  On the morning of our stay at Bleak House Farm campsite I went for a walk and retrieved a cache at the university campus close by:

Celestial Navigation

 




After my find we got the push bikes ready for a ride into town, where we spent most of the afternoon.

York

 








The Shambles




 Bleak House Farm campsite

 





Our next road trip is through the beautiful Yorkshire Dales. Via Masham we drive to Bainbridge Ings Caravan and Camping, where we stay the night and walk to Hawes and Gayle.  We find a cache and have a drink at the White Hart Inn.


Shop at Masham

Bainbridge Ings Caravan and Camping


Hawes









The White Hart Inn



Gayle







It's in between em'

(cache)

 





As I did not have internet connection in most of Scotland this was the last one for a while.
Next we met with Evelien and Henny at Crossfells Campsite near Penrith, and the next day we pay the town a visit.


Crossfells Campsite


Penrith

 











After Penrith we want to see a bit more of the Lake Dirstrict and drive past Ullswater.
The next day we drive to Arrochar, which leads us past Loch Lomond.

Loch Lomond



 


 
 



 


 




At Arrochar we find a camping for the night before we undertake the next part of the trip to Ben Nevis.

Arrochar 

 





The next part of the trip is via Glencoe and Fort William to the next camping: Glen Nevis Holiday Park. By now I know enough of the Scottish language to know that a Loch is a lake, and Ben and Glen a mountain and valley respectively.  I am learning as I go.  I love this as much as trying to get the hang of Welsh during the first part of my trip. 





Glencoe Visitor's Centre




Glen Nevis Holiday Park


As you can tell from the pictures, the weather hasn't been crash hot in Scotland, and that's nothing to do with hot or cold! ;-)  The sun is trying it's best, but the sky is heavy with, mist, rain and rain clouds.  Still, it's not really unpleasant.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by and leaving a comment.